These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Wah pedal STARTING position?
by IanEric-dot-com on 2010-11-17 16:14:36

I love love love my new HD500 - but I'm frustrated with one aspect:

With my Spider III head and Shortboard, if I saved a patch that used the wah, it would save in whatever position the wah was currently in.  For example, I have one song using the wah but it's best to start with the wah in full "bass" mode, with the pedal all the way back.  All I had to do with my other setup was save it that way.

I can't seem to get the HD500 to do this.  When I change to my custom patch (that has the wah "on"), the wah starts wherever the pedal is currently (generally all the way up, as it was a volume pedal for the previous patch).

Am I missing something?  How can I get the wah to "start" in the "low" position when I change to that program?

Thanks!

Re: Wah pedal STARTING position?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-11-17 16:40:52

Assuming you are using the Wah toe switch to activate it and you're expecting it to behave like a normal Cry Baby, then naturally you'd expect the way to start at the treble end.  You could reverse the way the Wah for this particular patch reacts by setting the Minimum and Maximum sweep settings the opposite way to what you'd normally expect so Minimum would be 100% and Maximum would be lower or even 0%

Or simply save the patch with everything the right way round but with the Wah ON and with the Heel down on the expression pedal - so the Wah will initially sound like it;s heel down until you move the pedal whereupon it will immediately jump to the new position unless you prepare the physical position of the pedal to be in the heel back position BEFORE you switch patches

Nick

by IanEric-dot-com on 2010-11-17 22:03:06

Quote:

"Or simply save the patch with everything the right way round but with  the Wah ON and with the Heel down on the expression pedal - so the Wah  will initially sound like it;s heel down until you move the pedal  whereupon it will immediately jump to the new position unless you  prepare the physical position of the pedal to be in the heel back  position BEFORE you switch patches"

That's the part that does NOT work.  I have the patch saved with the wah ON.  I can save it with the heel all the way down (bass), but when I switch back to that patch the wah starts in whatever the position the pedal is in at that time - generally toe down (treble) - NOT the position the patch was "saved" in.

Your procedure works for the Shortboard (at least with my Spider III), but so far no luck getting it to work on the HD500.....

Anyone?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-11-18 01:33:37

OK - it was past midnight when I replied last night.  I will attempt the practical sides of what i suggested later after work to see if what i suggested holds actual water in any way

by IanEric-dot-com on 2010-11-20 15:21:50

Thanks - I look forward to hearing if this issue can be resolved or I just have to live with it!

RE: Wah pedal STARTING position?
by ricksox on 2010-11-22 12:29:19

Hello,

This is expected behavior. The POD HD500 will remember the physical pedal position as opposed to a specific min/max value on the wah.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Wah pedal STARTING position?
by IanEric-dot-com on 2010-11-22 14:06:17

Can you clarify "remember" the position?

I would like it if the HD500 would "remember" the position the wah pedal was in when the patch was saved, and always return to that position as a starting point.  To me, that would be the "expected behavior" as is the case with the Shortboard and a Line6 amplifier.

However, the wah always defaults to the CURRENT pedal position when I switch to that patch (a sound which has been created with the wah in the "on" position).

Your answer is just a bit unclear.

Here's what I want:  I want to have a patch in which the wah is SET to its LOWEST position, and always starts at that "bass" tone until the expression pedal is moved.  This was easily done with my Spider III amp and shortboard.

RE: Wah pedal STARTING position?
by Line6Hugo on 2010-11-22 15:39:01

To be clear, when you enter a new preset using the wah or volume or anything using the expression pedal, the position of the pedal is what is read by the POD and the parameter tied to the expression pedal will correspond to the expression pedal's position.

In other words, it does not work like in previous PODs or Spider amps. The POD now reads the position of the pedal all the time.

As Line6Miller mentioned, this is how the POD HD500 works, unlike previous products.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by IanEric-dot-com on 2010-11-23 12:03:17

Thanks for the clarification - however disappointing it may be!

I actually truly enjoyed and used this feature of my Spider III amp.  I will miss it with the POD.

Perhaps I will mess with some settings - including reversing the modulation settings for the expression pedal (i.e., make all the way forward the "bass" and all the way back the "treble") and see what I can come up with.

It's a minor gripe as I really like the POD itself.  I gigged the rig for the first time last weekend and got rave reviews from other musicians on the tone I'm getting out of it.

Thanks for all the help!

by SharkeyMc on 2012-07-12 23:49:16

Helpful AnswerRE: Wah pedal STARTING position?

To be clear, when you enter a new preset using the wah or volume or anything using the expression pedal, the position of the pedal is what is read by the POD and the parameter tied to the expression pedal will correspond to the expression pedal's position.

In other words, it does not work like in previous PODs or Spider amps.  The POD now reads the position of the pedal all the time.

Hi, I just bought the HD500 and quickly ran into this same problem.

I very much expected that, when recalling a preset, it would ignore the current expression pedal physical position, but recall the parameter level AS IT WAS SAVED with the preset.

But it isn't working that way!

So, for example, I have a delay mix level assigned to the expression pedal,

and when I recall the preset, the delay level comes up at whatever the current position of the expression pedal happens to be at the time!???

This is really very disturbing!!!

I'm really surprised that this would be the default functionality.

I have been using a Vox Tonelab SE for years, where when preset when recalled, it recalls the parameters as they were saved, IGNORING the current expression pedal position...until the expression pedal is moved...

Is there not a way to select how this will behave????

I'm VERY concerned about this....

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.