These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Dual tones sounds terrible?
by Scenograf on 2012-01-19 01:26:02

1/  When using dual tones on my Pod HD 500 (connected via the FX on my Marshall) everything sounds ok. But, when I tweak the tones in Pod HD 500 Edit and "dissconect" one amp, that amp sounds terrible, wether it's amp A. or amp B. When both amps are "on" it sounds ok again. What am I doing wrong?

2/ All my tones seems to be very "high in volume" using my Pod HD 500 compared to when I plug my guitar straight in to my amp. It's almost twice as much volume. Is that ok. or am I doing something wrong?

3/ I read in the forum that I should flick the little switch on top of my Pod HD 500 (1/4 out) to LINE even if I'm using my Marshall to play live. Can that be wright?

Thank You very much for answers

L.

Re: Dual tones sounds terrible?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-19 02:28:58

Can you post the tone you're having difficulty with?  It will be easier to see if there's anything amiss in the way you have it set up.

Thanks

Nick

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-19 04:36:26

+1 Nick  - it will be easier to diagnose with the tone.

on 3:   if you are plugging your 1/4" output into the front of your amp then make sure that the switch is set to 'Amp' or you will be at serious risk of distorting the signal going into the amp .... and not in a good way.  Line is something like 3-4 times higher voltage than Amp.  It shouldn't damage your unit but it will distort.  You should set the switch to 'Amp' and make sure that your 'Output Mode' in system settings is set to 'Combo Front' or 'Stack Front'. 

If you are plugging the 1/4" Output into the Power amp of your marshall (i.e. into the FX Return) then normally you would set the switch to line, unless you noticed a nasty grade of distortion on your clean tones when you cranked up the master knob on the Pod.  You should set the switch to 'Line' and make sure that your 'Output Mode' in system settings is set to 'Combo Power Amp' or 'Stack Power Amp'.

This can have a dramatic effect on how tones sound.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-01-19 09:07:50

Scenograf wrote:

1/  When using dual tones on my Pod HD 500 (connected via the FX on my Marshall) everything sounds ok. But, when I tweak the tones in Pod HD 500 Edit and "dissconect" one amp, that amp sounds terrible, wether it's amp A. or amp B. When both amps are "on" it sounds ok again. What am I doing wrong?

2/ All my tones seems to be very "high in volume" using my Pod HD 500 compared to when I plug my guitar straight in to my amp. It's almost twice as much volume. Is that ok. or am I doing something wrong?

3/ I read in the forum that I should flick the little switch on top of my Pod HD 500 (1/4 out) to LINE even if I'm using my Marshall to play live. Can that be wright?

Thank You very much for answers

L.

I'll answer in this order if it's ok:

3 and 2:  If you're getting twice the volume then flick the switch to amp because that much less volume.

1- That's the funny thing about dual amps, it doesn't work like we initially expect. If I have a single amp model that sounds great and another single amp that sound great, when I try to combine them, they never work right. So usually good dual tones are just that, it's no surprise to me that my dual patches won't sound good at all if I disable one amp. That's the way it works in general if you have two different amp models in each Path, but one you have one amp that's being doubled with a 50ms and less delay on one side, it basically is one amp with a wider stereo field which should sound good on it's own.

by Line6Don on 2012-01-27 10:38:18

+1 to jimreynolds and DeanDinosaur.

Make sure to use the correct output mode that corresponds to where you are connecting the POD to your amp.

Duals tones will sometimes sound bad when you mute one of the amps, because as DeanDinosaur mentioned, the tone settings were most likely set when hearing both amps, so isolating one can sound strange. In addition, dual tones when played back from a mono audio source will always been summed mono instead stereo. For dual tones to be recreated live correctly, the left and right signals need to be sent to two individual playback sources whether they be amps or PA speakers.

by chimp_spanner on 2012-01-27 12:20:20

Also, check that the bypass volume of the amp you're turning off is set to 0, otherwise you'll hear one amp + totally dry guitar, and that will sound pretty awful!

RE: Dual tones sounds terrible?
by Line6Don on 2012-02-02 17:26:21

It has been at least 72 hours since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered. If it has been answered, please award points to whoever was helpful and/or answered the question.

In the event your issue has not been resolved, I created a support ticket for you so we can continue to communicate. Please respond to the ticket. Thanks!!

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link to the ticket when a Line 6 Support Representative responds to it. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support. Also, in your account, click My Account, then click Support Tickets to view the support ticket. Here’s a shortcut:

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host, and also that your email account is receiving messages at all.

RE: Dual tones sounds terrible?
by Line6Don on 2013-05-24 08:38:15

Hey Lars,

If you are planning on using dual tones with the POD HD500, it is very normal for you to have to listen to both amps at the same time while adjusting your tone. The whole point of using dual tones is to layer sounds, if you adjust them in while they are isolated, it will be inevitable that you will have to do additional adjustments after you combine the two together cause of the way their sound changes when you combine them.

-Don

Customer Support

Line 6

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.