These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Leave POD HD Pro turned on or turn it off?
by luigman on 2012-12-14 09:03:28

Hi,

I know that for some electronics it is better to leave them on all of the time becuase the turning them off and on too many times wears out some compenents.  So I was wondering if the POD HD Pro should be left on or if I should turn it off whenever I'm not playing it.  What do you guys do and what is your reason for doing it?

Thanks

Re: Leave POD HD Pro turned on or turn it off?
by silverhead on 2012-12-14 09:09:46

I turn all my equipment on/off with each use, simply for reduced power consumption. It's all connected through a single power bar with a switch so I conveniently control it all at once.

by Astaroth_CY on 2012-12-14 09:22:27

Leave it on if you think you might use it again within a few hours, if not turn it off to save on power.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-14 15:40:17

+1 on the Astaroth approach.  

I have the HD500 and a JVM Tube amp on a power strip and power them up together.  I will leave the rig on if I am going to use it again within a couple of hours.  My understanding is that the heating and cooling of power tubes is more problematic than leaving them warm without a signal running through them.  At least with Class A/B amps like mine:  I think that Class A Amps may be different.

Willing to hear debate on this ...

by scottyo78 on 2012-12-14 17:13:09

You're correct about the tubes. One of the first computers was used during WWII to 'break' code.  They left it on all the time because this was less stressful on the tubes. But for maintainance, etc., they had a procedure to slowly warm it up and when needed to cool it down/off.

by joel_brown on 2012-12-14 18:10:44

Turn it off.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.